publication date: Jun 2, 2011
The reviews are in - Governing for Results is the essential tool for volunteer members of nonprofit boards of directors. In an easy-to-read format, it offers guidance with respect to governance models, board structure, responsibilities, governance practices and problems that commonly afflict boards.
- "I have now many books on the subject on my shelf but continue to return time and time again to Mel Gill's book, Governing for Results - A Director's Guide to Good Governance." - Patricia McDermott, Chair, United Way - Centraide Canada
- "I found it to be exceptionally thorough, practical and user-friendly." - Ron Robertson, Chair, Board Recruiting Practice, Ray & Berndtson Canada
- "This really is a multi-layered subject, and this book has laid out the parameters very well."- Susan Carter, Former Executive Director, Voluntary Sector Roundtable; Consultant
With its practical samples, templates and scenarios this book offers a comprehensive tool kit useful for effective governing in your organization. Here's a sample:
The "Board Effectiveness Quick Check" is intended to collect spontaneous responses based on the immediate perceptions of those involved with governance of the organization. It is intended to be completed by board members and the CEO using a seven-point scale:
- This organization's orientation for board members adequately prepares them to fulfill their govern responsibilities.
- This board is actively involved in planning the direction and priorities of the organization.
- The board does a good job of evaluating the performance of the CEO (measuring results against objectives).
- This organization is financially sound (viable and stable).
- Board members demonstrate clear understanding of the respective roles of the board and CEO.
In a very short time you can evaluate how your board perceives itself and the work that is being done. Where are there differences or convergence? In the end you will have better communication and a road map for good governance practices within your organization.
Purchase your copy of Governing for Results for just $37.50.